Thursday, August 7, 2008

Don't Want It, Don't Need It

Somewhere along the road someone came up with the idea of a unity candle to symbolize two people joining their lives together and they are no longer two seperate flames but one flame burning together, yada yada yada.  I get the symbolism and I think if you want a unity candle it's a nice thing to do.  However unity candles have become so common that people think you HAVE to do them, which is absolutely untrue.  I don't have any desire to have a unity candle (gasp in the horror).  To me it's just not necessary or important and quite honestly just another thing to buy that I won't have any idea what to do with after the ceremony.  I would much rather have some well placed readings or something else that is meaningful to us than to just do something for the sake of doing it since everyone else does it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

unity candles are gay...

Tara Vorhes said...

I agree with you. We didn't include the unity candle lighting. It definitely was not missed.