Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Letting Go

Currently I am in the process of learning how to let go. I am a detail oriented, high strung, perfectionist. So this whole letting go thing hasn't been easy but I am really trying.

Most recently I let go of having envelope liners. I fully intended to do this all along but I never could quite find what I wanted and now have run out of time. Additionally I let go of picking out flower girl dresses. Actually I was happy to hand this task off to Andy's sister-in-law and mother of our flower girls, it took another item off my plate that I didn't have to worry about.

The newest item I am learning to let go of is the calligraphy on our invitation envelopes. My mother is completing them and doing a great job. But she isn't a professional and they aren't perfect. The perfectionist in me is having a difficult time with this.

It is so easy in the beginning of the planning process to create a vision and to get so focused on that vision you can't see beyond it. But now we are in the last three months and it is time to either get it done or not do it at all.

The reality is I don't have the time to do it all myself or the money to hire people. And while it can be disappointing to sweep some things off my list at the end of the day it won't matter. Because despite if the flowers never make it, or the cake flavors are wrong, I will still be getting married. That's really all that's important. Life will move on and no one will remember if the details were perfect and it won't matter, not even to me. So I'm learning to let go and I'm happy to do so.

No comments: